To inform and inspire internal and external audiences about the School’s distinct mission, students, alumni and programs. This position requires an energetic, creative, and organized individual who is qualified to write and edit for web, social media and print publications and who can work collaboratively on the School’s communication team. This individual must have the interpersonal skills to interface with vendors, designers, faculty, students, and parents.
JOB TITLE: Communications Associate
DEPT: Development & Alumni Office
JOB TERM: year-round (July 1 to June 30)
Date Revised: August 2018
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Part-time or Full-time
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Development
JOB SUMMARY: To inform and inspire internal and external audiences about the School’s distinct mission, students, alumni and programs. This position requires an energetic, creative, and organized individual who is qualified to write and edit for web, social media and print publications and who can work collaboratively on the School’s communication team. This individual must have the interpersonal skills to interface with vendors, designers, faculty, students, and parents.
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree minimum
Experience Required: 2-4 years performing duties and responsibilities associated with the position
CAPABILITIES REQUIRED: Employee must possess a motivational desire to work in a Christian educational setting and in the School office that engages and serves as the primary liaison with SBS alumni, parents, parents of alumni, and friends. Employee must possess the following skills and abilities:
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills;
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to adjust tone for various audiences, always keeping in mind the mission and purpose of The Stony Brook School;
- Self-initiating and able to plan, set, and achieve goals with minimal oversight.
CAPABILITIES ILLUSTRATED: The duties described below serve as guidelines, not limitations, to the scope of the job of Communications Associate. The individual may be called upon from time to time to serve the School community in other ways. The employee will be expected to exercise appropriate discretion and independent judgment in meeting the following expectations:
- Plan, obtain submissions for, and edit ten issues annually (September through May) of Parents Plus Monthly (PPM), a publication that also serves as an Admissions tool, preparing it for e-mail and/or mail distribution by the first week of each month;
- Plan, obtain submissions for, generate content, and edit content for the bi-monthly alumni e-newsletter, “Flow of the Brook”;
- Serve as the writer, researcher, and editorial assistant for three issues of The Bulletin, including preparation of Campus News, Alumni News, and the Alumni Log
- Maintain familiarity with on-campus events and activities in order to identify potential stories for multiple uses in The Bulletin, PPM, and “Flow of the Brook”
- Use existing story materials to update news on home page of SBS website;
- Prepare supporting text, as needed, for The Bulletin, serving as the liaison between the Development Office and the designer;
- Manage, generate, and edit content and posts for online communications and social media;
- Gain sufficient familiarity with Raiser’s Edge software to do routine queries and to prepare mailing lists;
- Serve as the liaison between mailing houses and the U.S. Post Office to ensure adequate postage is available for periodical mailings;
- Communicate with webmaster to initiate uploading of The Bulletin and of other major Development Office publications onto website throughout the year;
- Maintain displays of The Bulletin and other print publications in designated areas across campus;
- Participate in a limited amount of solicitation phone calls;
- Ability to meet a flexible work schedule including some evenings and/or weekends;
- Create press releases and communicate with editors regarding the submissions;
- Handle booking of certain alumni events and set up electronic invitations for events;
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email to Laurie Simmons at email@example.com.
- Participate as needed with the Development team in preparing and executing major SBS events such as Homecoming, The Main Event, and Commencement.