The candidate provides support for all development, event and communication functions; is responsible for coordinating and executing activities designed to engage, cultivate and steward donors.
JOB TITLE: Development Associate
DEPT: Development & Alumni Office
JOB TERM: Year-round (July 1 to June 30)
Date Revised: August 2018
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Part-time or Full-time
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Development.
JOB SUMMARY: The candidate provides support for all development, event and communication functions; is responsible for coordinating and executing activities designed to engage, cultivate and steward donors.
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree minimum
Experience Required: 2-4 years performing duties and responsibilities associated with the position
CAPABILITIES REQUIRED: Two factors are central to this position: (1) a motivational desire to work in a Christian educational setting that places primary importance on the spiritual, intellectual and social development of students and (2) the ability to balance office work, prioritize duties, and work independently. In addition, this position requires the following technical skills and abilities:
- Computer literacy in Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe, Publisher, Google and experience with Raiser’s Edge database;
- Comfortable working in a busy environment with awareness of the importance of maintaining relationships with constituents past and present, as well as team approach with other office staff
- Organized and able to work efficiently and independently, with an eye for detail and accuracy;
- Confidentiality in regards to personal information accessible through database records.
CAPABILITIES ILLUSTRATED: The duties described herein are to serve as guidelines, not limitations to the scope of the position of the Development Associate. The individual may occasionally be called upon by the Director of Development to serve the school community in other ways. Specific responsibilities included in this position:
- Written and phone communication - answer phone and general e-mail inquiries; be comfortable with donor contact by phone and in person; interact with members of the school and parent volunteers
- Responsible for coordinating and executing activities designed to engage, cultivate and steward donors, and serving in a leadership role for the annual fundraising Dinner/Auction, The Main Event;
- Take ownership of fundraising databases, ensuring consistency, accuracy, and integrity of records. Perform accurate data entry and coding of new and updated information (awards, contact information, education, business, etc.) in Raiser’s Edge, for current students, parents/grandparents, alumni, past parents, as well as for faculty/staff/trustees and “friends”
- Periodically “clean up” various database tables in order to maintain database efficiency and accuracy
- Responsible for annual correspondence of reminder solicitation letters to donors who support Class Night awards whose endowed awards are not fully funded, and generate appreciation letters to all Class Night donors informing them of award winners following this end-of-year event
- Assist with school-sponsored events such as Homecoming, Graduation or the start of school as needed. This may require time on an evening or weekend
- Process returned mailings for address change
- Assist in the writing and proofing of documents or publications when requested
- Provide administrative support for the Development team in all aspects of fundraising, including SBS NEXT, Capital Campaign, Grants, Annual Reports, Solicitation communications, Thank You letters, and fundraising events
- Ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school environment and use tact, diplomacy and confidentiality in dealing with members of The Stony Brook School community and donors.
- Other responsibilities: provide office and organization support, filing online and hard copy, scanning and photocopying, and other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email to Laurie Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org